Thursday, May 8, 2008

Escape From Ghost Island Article

Toey's article is in the Bangkok Post today. I try not to be bias when it comes to his articles and I always try to give my honest opinion about whether I think it's a crappy or a great article, but honestly speaking, I really love his style of writing.

I think that because he's never been to journalism school, his style has not been chipped and worn away by the limitations of writing in news format. His voice is always strong in the story and his words are always descriptive. I always told him that his stories have personality.

Anyway, he knows he's a good writer. Although it's too bad, according to him, that his calling was never to write.

Here's an excerpt of his article:

"Sometimes it's just not meant to be.

If life were a postcard the forecast would always be for clear skies, and every holiday you took would be all about sun, sea and sand. But the truth is that sometimes you're damn lucky to get two out of three.


After a seven-hour drive from Bangkok I stand on the tiny pier, looking out across the water. In the near distance is Ko Pithak, a small fishing community in Chumphon's Lang Suan district and my destination. I pictured myself enjoying the next couple of days, mingling with the fisherman, catching squid and easing myself gently into the tempo of island life. But on the horizon the skies are ominously dark. A thunderstorm is approaching with heavy winds and crashing waves to wash all those aforementioned images, along with a few tents and roofs, straight into the sea."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real World Road Rules Escape from Ghost Island

July 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home