Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose


I love Lost, I enjoyed 24, but this was the first series that I could watch again and again. You know how I love putting my favorite songs on repeat? I could put this series on repeat.

I came home last night after watching Iron Man at Siam Paragon. By the time I took a shower it was 11.30 PM. I just got the Friday Night Lights DVD Toey burned for me, decided to pop it into the laptop and watch a few minutes of it. From the moment it started, I couldn’t stop.

The series is basically about the events surrounding the Dillon Panthers, a high school football team in small-town Texas, Dillon. It revolves around the players in the football team, as well as Coach Taylor and his family.

Toey had been telling me for a year and a half now about how great the series was. How it should’ve gotten higher ratings despite the critics saying how great it was at exploring the personal development of the central characters and at portraying the realness of Middle America.

I was pretty tired then, but I really wanted to see what this series was all about because Toey loves it. LOVES IT.

And it’s not just a show about high school football.

The characters and their relationships are very realistic. These are people dealing with pressure and expectations from the town, family, and themselves. For anybody who’s been on a school team, or have a passion for something, you will understand. You don’t have to be a jock to enjoy this show; you don’t have to know anything about football. It's just a great show that we all can learn from.

You may remember the movie Friday Night Lights, which I thought was OK. It’s a lot better that the movie. The acting is really good. The dialogues are great. And the music really brings it all together. The background music is performed by a band call Explosions in the Sky. They play instrumental rock. It’s beautiful. They’re really good at building up your emotions, which I think is a huge part in making this series successful as well.

By the way, the actor playing Coach Taylor is Kyle Chandler, the guy from Early Edition. Remember that series? I really liked Early Edition too.

So watch it. I’m so excited about this show and I’ve only watched the first episode.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home