Saturday, August 23, 2008

August Books

1. The Highly Sensitive Person In Love by Elaine N. Aron. This was a book I looked up when I was browsing through the Urban Monk website. The author of the blog mentioned that he was a HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) and immediately I wondered, am I one too? An HSP makes up 15-20% of the human population. They are those born with a nervous system genetically designed to be more sensitive to subtleties, more prone to deep reflection on inner experience, and therefore more inevitably overwhelmed by outer events. I've only read about 30 pages or so and I really like it because I felt as though it kind of made me feel "normal". To be able to believe that possibly the reason why I'm hyper-sensitive, overly-empathetic, deeply-emotional is because of my genetic makeup. The truth of this research, is of course, questionable. But so far, I'm enjoying the read. And, I really wish that my boyfriend would read it too.

2. Why We Love? by Helen Fisher. An anthropoligist, she studies the phenomenon of love, scientifically. I haven't gone through this book yet, but I heard of her when I went to this website call Ted.com that contains a lot of inspirational talks in vdo (youtube) format.

3. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. This book was also recommended in Urban Monk and by a lot of people who commented or guest blogged on his web site. I decided to check it out. So far, it's a bit too religious but I can see how it can really help people. I thought what was interesting was his input about the Ego, dis-identifying from the Mind, and living in the Now. I've only read 30 pages here, but will probably finish the first two books first before I come back to this one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home