Wednesday, February 25, 2009

SCAD (Soi Cats and Dogs)

Today I went to the SCAD Volunteer Orientation after work and was pretty glad that I did. SCAD is a non-profit organization, which stands for Soi Cats and Dogs (it was previously more popularly known as Soi Dog Rescue), and is a great initiative to help reduce the number of stray cats and dogs on the streets. They do a number of activities ranging from creating awareness to the plights of strays in Bangkok, to promoting better animal birth control and being more responsible pet owners, to being a temporary animal shelter and providing health treatments, to being an adoption center for strays and finding loving homes for them. With the number of strays no doubt being a problem in Thailand, I think SCAD's really dedicated to solving this problem, or at least making an active attempt to do so.

They're always looking for volunteers so I contacted them and Carolyn, who's the Volunteer Coordinator, got in touch with me. I came in today and had a chance to talk to her and a few other core volunteers who were also there. Carolyn's actually a psychologist and her husband works at the UN ESCAP, such a small world. She really thinks I can contribute my skills (in developing communication materials, web site maintenance, helping out at events and providing translation Thai/English) so I really hope that I can help somewhat. She also needs somebody to help with designing these communication materials so I've suggested Nick who's a great designer (who did express interest in becoming a volunteer also). I think it would be really fun and good to work on this together, use our creativity and skills for a good cause. You know, to do something different during the weekend than just walking around malls.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home