Thursday, September 17, 2009

Where My Paths Begin to Diverge

At the moment I'm seriously contemplating moving to Singapore. I have been offered an international post there and now in the process of negotiating the salary and package. I think the package itself is pretty good considering they're paying for accommodation + all these other benefits, so I think the negotiation is on the base salary more than anything else.

They want me to move as early as November, but I doubt that will happen as there's still so many things to finalize on my end from Bangkok. So maybe January 2010 will be when I actually move there.

I'm really being very strategic about this because although it's a UNICEF-funded network that I'll be working for, it is a step out from the UN system. However, if I can still work as a Consultant for UNICEF from abroad on this other communication project, then that would be a very sweet deal, and I probably wouldn't be thinking twice about it. Of course, it'd also be awesome to get two pay checks!

Anyway, I went to interview at Reuters just the other day, but I'm not sure whether I'm really interested in it any more as I think it's a bit too corporate for my taste. Plus, the role involves strengthening their internal communications. In other words, probably communicating with 1500 or so staff in Thai, so I don't think that's going to work. I also think it goes to say how I've pretty much decided that I want to do communications for development or non-profit purposes than talking about financial applications, software development, cars, luxury products, etc.

I don't think Nick likes the idea of me going to Singapore.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home